Everything You Need to Know About Renewing Your CSIA- Certified Chimney Sweep® Credential
You’ve earned your certification and proved you’re one of the best. Now, how often do you need to renew your certification and how do you do it? That’s what we’re going to cover right now.
How often do you need to renew your CCS® credential?
Your CSIA-Certified Chimney Sweep® credential needs to be renewed every three years.
How do you renew your credential?
There are three ways to renew your CSIA-Certified Chimney Sweep® credential:
- Take the CCS® Review & Exam – If you have fewer than nine CEUs, you can renew your credential by ordering and passing the CCS® review and exam. You can take the review either in-person or online, but you’ll need to complete it before taking your exam. For information on how to schedule a review, order an exam, find a proctor, and use our ProctorFree online option, please check out Your Guide to Taking the CSIA Exam. Note: You’ll pay for the review and exam in place of remitting a renewal fee.
- Take the Exam – If you have nine or more CEUs but fewer than 48, you can renew your credential by taking the CCS® exam. Note: Your exam fee will cover renewal costs.
- Renew with CEUs – If you have 48+ CEUs, you can renew with your CEUs and a $289 renewal fee.
How do you renew with CEUs?
You know we’re big advocates of continuous learning. But CEUs pay off even more when you get them through CSIA CEU approved courses and trainings. To renew your CCS® credential with CEUs, simply accumulate the following number of CEUs in the following categories over the three-year credential period:
- Technical | 12 CEUs
- Codes & Standards | 8 CEUs
- Communication & Liability |6 CEUs
- Health & Safety |6 CEUs
- Elective/Additional in Any Category (including Business*) | 16 CEUs
Total = 48 CEUs
*Business CEUs may not be used to meet minimum category requirements in Technical, Codes & Standards, Communication & Liability, or Health & Safety. Business falls under the ‘Elective’ category.
For more tips around CEUs, check out our CEU Tips.
Do you have to submit your CEUs?
As long as you’re getting your CEUs through CSIA-approved courses, we will have CEU information associated with your ID number in our records. If, however, you’re earning CEUs through a course that is NOT CSIA -approved for CEUs, you’ll need to submit those CEUs to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We always recommend that you maintain your own records as well in case there’s ever a discrepancy we need to clear up for renewal.
Want to know how many CEUs you currently have? No problem. Just use our Pro Login to check at any time.
What happens if you forget to renew your credential?
We know life gets busy, so we always remind our credential holders when it’s time to renew. We also offer a 30-day renewal grace period, although CEUs cannot be earned and applied after expiration.
Time to Renew? Let’s Do This
Time to renew your CSIA-Certified Chimney Sweep® credential? Take care of it right here. And remember, if you have any questions or need any assistance during the renewal process, simply reach out to us at 317-837-5362 or at email@example.com. That’s what we’re here for.