Earn Your Certified Master Chimney Sweep® Designation: The Pinnacle Achievement for Chimney Pros
The CSIA Master Chimney Sweep® designation is awarded to those CSIA certified pros who have gone above and beyond in their efforts to stay at the very front of the chimney and venting industry. It’s a goal for long-term certification holders to strive for. A credential that’s tough to attain, but that shows you’re committed to ongoing education and to becoming an expert in the chimney and venting industry.
Here’s what you need to know about earning this distinguished credential…
How Do You Become a Master Chimney Sweep® ?
To make the cut and become a Master Chimney Sweep®, you must meet the following requirements:
- You must be an active CSIA Certified Chimney Sweep®.
- You must have held the CCS® credential for a minimum of nine consecutive years or 18 non-consecutive years.
- You must have completed or met at least six of the following CSIA courses and/or requirements:
- Active certification as a CSIA Certified Dryer Exhaust Technician (C-DET)®
- Chimney Science, Chimney Physics Two-Day In-Person, or Chimney Physics Online
- Chimney Documentation to Reduce Liability & Increase Profits, Inspection & Report Writing Two-Day In-Person, or Diagnosis and Documentation
- Masonry Five-Day School (In-Person), CSIA Masonry Repair for Chimney Professionals (In-Person), or CSIA Advanced Masonry Repair (In-Person)
- CSIA Lining Masonry Chimneys with Stainless Steel (Online)
- CSIA Rope/Roof Access (In-Person)
- NFI Core Review + NFI Specialty Review or NFI Waiver
- Advanced Inspection & Documentation
- CSIA MCS EPA BurnWise (Online)
- 12 hours of CSIA online training (not to include Reviews, Lining Masonry Chimneys, or Chimney Physics Online)
A one-time application fee of $299 is required as well, but if your application is rejected, $199 of that fee will be returned to you.
You must have an active NFI Certification obtained through the CSIA Installing & Troubleshooting Wood Heating Appliances class or the CSIA Installing and Troubleshooting Gas Hearth Appliances class. This requirement may be substituted by an active NFI Certification held for a minimum of six years, a current F.I.R.E. Certified Inspector credential, or an Associate level (or higher) degree in Fire Science from an accredited college.
What’s the Application Process Like?
Mail your application, along with a check (made out to Chimney Safety Institute of America) covering your application fee of $299 to the following address:
ATTN: CSIA Certification Coordinator
2155 Commercial Drive, Plainfield, IN 46168
Email your application and all supporting documents to email@example.com. If you email your application, you can pay your application fee by Visa, Mastercard, or American Express.
The CSIA Certification Coordinator will vet all requirements before submitting qualified applicants to the Master Committee for a final decision within 30 days of receiving the application.
The Master Committee (composed of four people, including the CSIA Certification Coordinator and at least one active board member) will be commissioned by the current CSIA Board President. They will render a decision regarding the CSIA Certified Master Chimney Sweep® designation within 30 days. In the event an impasse occurs, the CSIA President will cast the deciding vote.
The CSIA Certification Coordinator will notify you by mail as to the final decision regarding the Master Chimney Sweep® designation. You can expect to hear from CSIA within 60 days of receipt of application.
Other Questions You May Be Asking
Can your credential be revoked?
Your Master Chimney Sweep® credential can be revoked at any time at the discretion of the Master Committee. Additionally, failure to retain any of the certifications required for the Master Chimney Sweep® designation will result in disqualification.
Is there an annual fee?
Master Chimney Sweeps® pay an annual fee of $279. However, on renewal years, the annual fee is waived, and you only pay the renewal fee.
When does the Master Chimney Sweep® designation have to be renewed?
You’ll need to renew your Master Chimney Sweep® credential every three years. You’ll find everything you need to know about renewal right here.
Take a Look at Who You’ll Be Joining When You Earn Your Master Chimney Sweep® Designation
When you earn your Master Chimney Sweep® designation, you’ll be joining the best of the best. Here’s a list of the current CSIA Master Chimney Sweeps® you’ll be in the company of:
James “Calvin” Ralls
W. Mark Hudson
Terry Dearborn (1949-2019)
Richard Martinez (honorary)
Bo Tasso (1953-2020)
Jeff Gitlin (honorary)
Robert Waid, Jr.
Joe Bento (honorary)
Edward Berg, Jr.
Ed Ridgeway, Sr.
Bill Kline (honorary)
Harry Lux, III
Are Your Skills & Expertise Next Level?
You’re one of the best. Apply for the Master Chimney Sweep® designation and let’s make it official. If you have questions during the application process or about any of the qualifications or requirements, please reach out to us at 317-837-5362 or at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’re here to help.