The Chimney Safety Institute of America (CSIA) recommends that people take a few steps when considering which chimney sweep will perform an annual inspection or related service on their chimney or vent. Because proper care and attention to service can help protect people from unnecessary fires and carbon monoxide poisonings, it is important to choose the professional wisely. While the CSIA recommends that people consider a CSIA Certified Chimney Sweep®, there are additional questions that should be asked to ensure that the person hired is a credible service technician:
- How long has the chimney sweeping company been in business?
- Does the company offer current references?
- Does the company have unresolved complaints filed within the city or state consumer protection agency or Better Business Bureau?
- Does the company or individual carry a valid business liability insurance policy to protect your home and furnishings against accidents?
- Does the company ensure that a CSIA Certified Chimney Sweep will be on the job site?
There are more than 1,600 CSIA Certified Chimney Sweeps located within North America. To ensure that homeowners receive a certified sweep at every job, all chimney sweeping companies promoting the credential are required to have a CSIA Certified Chimney Sweep on every job site. To locate a CSIA Certified Chimney Sweep, please use the CSIA Certified Professional Locator on this site.
IMPORTANT: Just because a chimney sweep or company includes the word "certified" in their title or advertisement, this doesn't tell you anything about their job knowledge or abilities. Check out our special blog post on how to navigate the sea of "certified" professionals in an unregulated industry to learn more.
Live in Central Indiana? We rely on homeowners to open up their homes to our National Chimney Sweep Training School students so that they can get hands-on experience. Students and instructors will inspect, sweep your chimney, and provide you with an analysis of your fireplace and/or chimney. To become one of our field day homes, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (317) 837-5365.