To earn the CSIA Certified Chimney Sweep credential, candidates must:
- Attend an online* or in-person review session.
- Pass a one-hour exam based on Successful Chimney Sweeping (2011) and NFPA 211 (2010)
- Pass a ninety-minute open-book exam based on the 2006 International Residential Code. Candidates for the exam must bring their copy of the IRC to the testing site in order to complete the exam.
- Agree to pay the Annual Certification Fee.
- Sign CSIA Code of Ethics.
Effective September 1, 2009
* Once candidates have completed the online review session, most schedule proctored exams. The exams are available both in paper and online versions. (Download the Proctored Exam Request form .pdf here). College and university testing centers, Sylvan Learning Centers and CSIA Approved Proctors are permitted to administer the exams.
Need to RENEW your CCS credential? Click HERE.
1. Get the Study Material
COMPLETE CCS 3-BOOK STUDY SET Now Available (.pdf)
- Successful Chimney Sweeping (2011 edition)
- NFPA 211 (2010 edition)
- International Residential Code (2006 edition)
Study materials are also available al a carte!
Publications Order Form. pdf
2. Take a Review Session
Single-day in-person review sessions are held frequently throughout the country and at the CSIA Technology Center in Indianapolis to help candidates prepare for the exams. The review sessions are not a substitute for advanced study. (Note: Private companies and organziations may sponsor a review at their location. Contact Donna Kasmer at CSIA for details.)
CSIA Certified Chimney Sweep® review sessions are offered each month online. The online review sessions feature five sets of lessons and quizzes to be completed on your schedule anytime during the seven day timeframe.
3. Take the Exam
CSIA Technology Center (paper or online)
CSIA staff can serve as proctors at the CSIA Technology Center in Indianapolis from 9:00 am – 3:00 pm Eastern. Please order your exam set (Proctored Exam Request form .pdf) at least five business days before your appointment. Your paper exams will be graded and results will be available later that same day. Online exam results are available immediately.
After an Onsite Review Session
Exams will be offered immediately after a single-day review session has ended. Candidates may register for the exams individually and are not required to attend the review session on the same day as sitting for the exams.
Proctored Exams (paper or online)
To arrange a proctored exam set, whether paper or online, contact your local CSIA Approved Proctor (list available at www.CSIA.org/proctors) or university testing center to schedule a minimum of two and a half hours of uninterrupted time. CSIA will not send exams to public libraries. Then, order your exams through CSIA at least two weeks prior to your exam appointment to ensure delivery. (Proctored Exam Request form .pdf) Paper exams will be returned by the proctor to CSIA for grading and additional processing. Online exam results are available immediately.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Please note that the CSIA Certified Chimney Sweep credential is a one-year credential which may be renewed by paying an annual certification fee each year. Every three years, you must test again or submit the appropriate number of continuing education units to renew.
The annual certification fee is allocated toward administration of the program, marketing of the credential to the public and related industries, certification program development and enhancements and aggressive protection of the CSIA Certified Chimney Sweep® trademark. Frequently asked questions regarding the annual certification fee.
To renew your certification without retesting: CSIA's Certification Renewal Policy
Learn more about the CSIA Code of Ethics and Trademark Policy.
Please call (317) 837-5362
or email firstname.lastname@example.org